India joins France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland, Bulgaria in flight bans over new strain; US aid bill should have votes to pass
- European states ban travel from UK as new Covid strain takes hold
- What do we know about the fast-spreading Covid variant in UK?
- Hard lockdown ‘needed to prevent Sydney Christmas Covid surge’
- Moderna vaccine shipments begin as US reels under Covid surge
- Inside Oxford’s coronavirus vaccine development
The Czech Republic and Canada have become the latest countries to suspend flights from the UK in response to new coronavirus strain.
The National Education Union, the UK’s largest teaching union, is calling for schools in England to close and teach remotely for the first two weeks of term in the new year.
The union has written to the prime minister Boris Johnson and the secretary of state for education calling for new measures to be put in place to ensure the safest possible return of schools and colleges on the 4th of January.