US vaccination programme in ‘much worse shape’ than first thought, Biden says; Irish lockdown set to be extended until April. Follow latest updates
- Pfizer vaccine found to give strong immune response to new variants
- CDC: people with two vaccine doses can skip quarantine
- Arthritis drug that helps Covid ICU patients has wider benefits
- AstraZeneca says vaccine against new variants may take six months
- See all our coronavirus coverage
The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 9,860 to 2,320,093, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Friday.
The reported death toll rose by 556 to 64,191, the tally showed.
To the UK:
Employers are putting workers at risk and increasing Covid infection rates in communities, unions have said, as research found that as many as one in five people have been going into their workplace unnecessarily.