New variant already in ‘great majority if not all’ European countries, says Professor Neil Ferguson; UK R number rises to between 1.1 and 1.3
- UK ferry passengers disembark in Calais after France eases travel ban
- More of England could move into tier 4 from Boxing Day, says minister
- Trump demands changes to sign $900bn stimulus bill
- Australian officials scramble after Qantas crew member tests positive
- Covid fatalities soar in Mexico as president condemned for inaction
Africa needs about $9bn to fund enough Covid-19 vaccines to halt the pandemic on the continent, but a bigger problem is accessing that supply amid the global race for doses, an African Export Import Bank official said on Wednesday.
African nations cannot compete with wealthier governments that have secured huge supplies of inoculations, Hippolyte Fofack, Afreximbank chief economist, told Reuters.