Concern over Covid spread on Superbowl weekend; China to donate vaccines to DR Congo; French PM defends slow vaccine rollout. Follow latest updates
- Sweden and Denmark plan digital vaccine certificates for travel
- German minister criticises Von der Leyen over vaccines ‘disgrace’
- UK minister:restrictions should stay until cases fall to 1,000 a day
- About 4,000 Covid variants across world, says UK minister
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Hello and welcome to our live coverage of the coronavirus pandemic, with me, Alison Rourke.
There are concerns in the US that the Superbowl – the culmination of the football season – which takes place on Sunday, could lead to a rise in Covid cases. Traditionally a time that families get together, there are fears another spike could follow the event. It comes as the country recorded more than 40,000 deaths in a two-week period.