- Ireland Covid cases surge as officials warn of ‘rampant’ virus
- Hundreds of thousands more US Covid deaths possible amid vaccine chaos
- India prepares for vast coronavirus vaccination push
- Coronavirus – latest updates
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Thai health authorities have recommended tougher restrictions on businesses and people’s movement in 28 provinces, including the capital Bangkok, as the number of new Covid cases rises.
The measures include suspending some businesses and crowded activities, as well as advising people in affected provinces to work from home and avoid unnecessary travel.
Tokyo metropolitan officials are expected to ask the central government on Saturday to declare a state of emergency amid a resurgence of Covid cases, local media reported.
The Tokyo governor, Yuriko Koike, will make the request in a meeting with the economy minister, Yasutoshi Nishimura, who coordinates government measures to fight the pandemic, according to the Nikkei newspaper, citing multiple sources.